SINGAPORE - A poll by agency for citizen engagement, Reach, has found that 40 per cent of Singaporeans are not aware of the debate over the National Library Board's (NLB) recent decision to remove three children's titles from public libraries.
Among those who followed the issue, 45 per cent support NLB's move, 28 per cent disagree, and 23 per cent maintain neutrality on the issue.
According to a statement by Reach, half of respondents agree that books promoting values that are not in line with traditional family values should not be made available in the children's section of public libraries.
These findings are based on the results of a telephone poll commissioned by Reach to understand Singaporeans' views towards NLB's withdrawal of the books.
843 Singapore residents aged 15 and above were surveyed from July 14 to 17.
Other key findings of the poll:
- 6 in 10 (60 per cent) respondents were aware of NLB's decision to remove the three children's books from their public libraries; while 40 per cent knew nothing about the issue;
- Among those aware of the issue (513 respondents), 45 per cent of respondents were supportive of NLB's decision; 28 per cent did not support it; and 23 per cent were neutral;
- Slightly more than half (52 per cent) of all respondents polled agreed that books promoting values that are not in line with traditional family values should not be made available in the children's section of public libraries; 21 per cent disagreed and 23 per cent were neutral.
Senior Minister of State for Health and Manpower and Reach Chairman, Dr Amy Khor said, "We commissioned a poll to find out the ground sentiments on this issue which has seen vigorous debate amongst some Singaporeans recently.
"The poll results show that amongst those who are aware of the issue, a considerable proportion, 45 per cent, is supportive of NLB's move to remove the three children's books. Of the remaining 55 per cent, 28 per cent disagree with NLB's decision, whilst 22 per cent are neutral.