Explosives experts detonated what they believe was an aerial bomb at a construction site on Tuesday.
The Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) said in a Facebook post that the 1.2m-long, 100kg shell was "armed and more than 60 years old". It was found on Monday afternoon by construction workers at a site on St Martin Lane in Seletar. A worker who wanted to be known only as Raj said they placed it to one side and carried on with their work.
A supervisor alerted the police and the SAF team was called in. Specialists put the bomb in a pit and buffered it with more than 300 sandbags.
At 12.07pm on Tuesday, police urged workers to "stand back, stay low and take cover" before a loud bang broke the silence. The detonation was completed by 3pm and shockwaves could be felt 300m away. Offices in the surrounding Seletar Aerospace Park had been evacuated at around 9am. The Straits Times understands that employees of aerospace company Pratt & Whitney were sent home, while construction workers were told to report for work at 1pm.
The Seletar Country Club alerted members that its Seletar Camp entrance was closed because of the bomb. It was the fourth bomb to be found and detonated this year. Last month, one was found at a construction site in Jurong.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.