8 arrested for making explosive

8 arrested for making explosive
Posed photo of a person lighting a sparkler. The police said they will be taking a tough stand against the use of sparklers to set off improvised explosive devices.

Eight men have been nabbed for setting off an improvised explosive device made out of sparklers.

Police said yesterday that last Friday, officers responded to a report of a fire at Woodlands Drive 50.

They found burn marks on the ground and bundled sparklers that had been lit. The suspects, aged between 18 and 33 years old, were nearby.

Investigations against the men are ongoing, but they could face up to a year's jail or a maximum fine of $5,000 if charged with negligent conduct around an explosive substance.

Police say that since July, there have been 14 cases which saw a total of 62 people arrested for setting off improvised explosive devices constructed from sparklers.

They remind the public that these explosive devices can be a fire hazard that can endanger life and damage property.

This article was published on Aug 5 in The New Paper.

Get The New Paper for more stories.

 

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.