SINGAPORE - The government said on Friday that it will add another 800 temporary flats under an existing scheme for couples who are waiting for their Built-to-Order (BTO) flats to be built.
The announcement was made by National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan in a blog post on Friday morning.
Mr Khaw said: "To the current supply of 1,150 PPHS flats, we will add another 800 flats, mainly 3-room flats, including in Bukit Merah and Queenstown.
"HDB is retrofitting them and will roll them out from early next year," he added.
In January last year, the Parenthood Provisional Housing Scheme (PPHS) began with 1,150 flats available for rent to first-timer married couples with children younger than 16.
In April, it was extended to include those without children, and in Sep, to married couples comprising a first-timer and second-timer, as well as divorced or widowed parents with children, reports The Straits Times.
"This is a good scheme which has been well received," said Mr Khaw. He highlighted a young couple, Mr and Mrs Heng Wang Xing, who moved into a PPHS flat Bedok early this year and had a baby boy in August.
So far, 110 babies have been born in PPHS flats. "Not bad at all," said Mr Khaw.
Starting from Nov 1, couples will also have the option of co-renting and co-paying for the PPHS flat to reduce their rental expenses. A maximum of two families can share each flat, said The Straits Times.
"This will be useful for those who feel that they do not need a whole flat, especially if it is four- or five-room," said Mr Khaw. "The few vacant PPHS flats are of this type," he added.
Co-tenants will need to work out the co-renting details privately and decide how much each tenant will pay and how the bedrooms will be divided.