Amos Yee continues his stay behind bars on Monday

Amos Yee continues his stay behind bars on Monday

SINGAPORE - Amos Yee continued to stay in remand over the weekend and on Monday after no one turned up to post bail for him.

During a pre-trial conference on April 17, District Judge Kessler Soh had converted the $20,000 police bail that Yee had been on to court bail, requiring bail to be reposted, according to The Straits Times.

Since Yee's parents did not post bail, the teen had to be put in remand. Blogger Roy Ngerng claimed that he had tried to bail Yee out but failed to do so as he had to go to Malaysia.

Channel NewsAsia reported that Ngerng alleged in a Facebook post that Yee was in remand due to a breach of bail conditions. The Attorney-General's Chambers (AGC) clarified on April 18 that Yee stayed in remand over the weekend as no one had come forward to bail him out.

In a lengthy Facebook post, Ngerng apologised for being unable to raise the $20,000 in time: "The bail terms are ridiculous. Amos was not allowed to post anything at all. When asked how his latest posts meant he violated the bail terms, I understood it was said that the content was 'irrelevant' and he has violated the bail terms anyway, and so had to be remanded."

An AGC spokesman explained that bailors only needed to pledge that they had $20,000 and were not required to deposit the money with the court.

Bailors also need to show they can ensure that Yee abides by the bail conditions and shows up in court when required.

The last registration for bail on Saturdays is at 12pm and the bail office is closed on Sundays, while the last registration for bail on weekdays is at 5.30pm.

Yee's next pre-trial conference is on May 13 and a bail review will be held on Tuesday.

The 16-year-old was charged on March 31 with attacking Christianity, transmitting an obscene image and making an online video containing remarks about founding prime minister Lee Kuan Yew that offended viewers. He agreed as a condition of his bail not to post anything online until his case is decided, reported The Straits Times.

However, on April 14, Yee had posted a plea on his blog and Facebook page to ask for donations to fund his legal fees. The blog post included links to the offensive videos and posts that had originally landed him in trouble.

What it should have been

In an earlier version of this article, we reported that Mr Roy Ngerng had spoken to The Straits Times. This is inaccurate. We wish to clarify that The Straits Times did not report that Mr Ngerng had spoken to its reporters. The error was made in AsiaOne's report, which has since been amended. We are sorry for the error.

More about

Amos Yee Roy Ngerng
Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.