SINGAPORE - At the meeting, which the Supreme Court said in a statement on Sunday was "very fruitful", the CJs discussed ways to share best practices in the use of court technology and case management techniques.
Get the full story from The Straits Times.
Here is the full press release:
The Supreme Court of Singapore hosted the inaugural Meeting of the ASEAN Chief Justices on 23 August 2013 on the side lines of the 35th ASEAN Law Association ("ALA") Governing Council meeting. The Chief Justices and representatives present can be found in the Appendix attached.
2 The ASEAN Chief Justices agreed on the following objectives of the Meeting:
(1) To promote close relations and mutual understanding amongst the ASEAN judiciaries;
(2) To provide a regular forum for the ASEAN Chief Justices to discuss and exchange views on common issues facing the ASEAN judiciaries; and
(3) To facilitate judicial cooperation and collaboration among ASEAN judiciaries with a view to accelerate the economic growth and development of the ASEAN region.
3 The ASEAN Chief Justices had a very fruitful meeting. At the meeting the ASEAN Chief Justices also discussed ways to:
(1) Enhance the Rule of Law to promote greater economic co-operation in ASEAN by developing an internet portal to improve the flow of information on ASEAN Judiciaries;
(2) Promote judicial education and training by collaborating to develop ideas to enhance training opportunities for the Judges and judicial officers within ASEAN;
(3) Harness judicial co-operation in ASEAN by collaborating and sharing best practices in:
(a) The use of court technology;
(b) Case management techniques; and
(c) Facilitating the service of civil processes within ASEAN to promote economic growth and development of the ASEAN region.
4 The ASEAN Chief Justices also agreed to meet periodically in conjunction with future meetings of the ALA.