Assailant now a pale shadow of himself

Assailant now a pale shadow of himself
NOTORIOUS: Goh Kheng Seng (centre) used to terrorise patrons of a Toa Payoh coffee shop.

Turning up in court slumped in a wheelchair, he looked too frail to stand.

Even when the judge asked him a question, he remained silent with his head bowed.

Having undergone surgery for a brain haemorrhage last month while in remand, Goh Kheng Seng, 67, was a pale shadow of the man who used to terrorise patrons of a Toa Payoh coffee shop.

He appeared in court yesterday to be sentenced for stabbing Mr See Chong Yin in the neck with a pair of scissors at the coffee shop on Oct 14 last year.

That day, Goh was at a coffee shop in Toa Payoh Lorong 4 and was taunting people who passed by, hurling vulgarities in Hokkien and challenging them to fights.

At about 2.25pm, Mr See, 68, went there to buy coffee.

As he was looking for a seat, Goh swore at him and punched him. Goh also stabbed Mr See's neck with a pair of foldable scissors.

A bleeding Mr See was taken to Tan Tock Seng Hospital where he was treated for his two wounds, found to be superficial in depth.


Goh fled the scene, but returned wearing a different set of clothes. He was later arrested.

Yesterday, District Judge Matthew Joseph considered Goh's current physical state before passing a 15-week jail term, which was backdated to when he was remand last October.

This means Goh will be released almost immediately as the court recognised the danger to his health if he continued to be held in remand, said the judge.

For voluntarily causing hurt, Goh could have been jailed up to two years and/or fined up to $5,000.

Another charge of committing mischief by fire was taken into consideration.

This article was first published on February 13, 2015.
Get The New Paper for more stories.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.