The Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) will be keeping an eye on music events, said Senior Minister of State for Home Affairs and Foreign Affairs Masagos Zulkifli at the Committee of Supply debate yesterday.
This comes after several people, including one Singaporean, died from suspected drug abuse at music events held in the region last year.
Besides targeting music events, CNB will also perform checks at checkpoints and airports. Action will be taken against individuals found to have taken drugs overseas.
Given the trend of e-commerce and ordering drugs online, suspicious packages will be intercepted and those who conduct drug transactions online will be prosecuted.
Mr Masagos also highlighted the worrying trend of younger drug abusers.
Thirty-four per cent of drug abusers arrested last year were below the age of 30, which was an increase from 29 per cent in 2010.
Among new abusers arrested, two-thirds were below the age of 30. In 2010, only half were under 30 years old.
To tackle this problem, there will be a Task Force on Youths and Drugs, co-chaired by Mr Masagos and Minister of State Sim Ann.
Its findings will be released later this year.
The task force will provide recommendations on Singapore's approach, which includes preventive drug education, effective enforcement, and early, targeted intervention for youths.
Mr Masagos said: "We must do all we can to prevent our youths from being tempted by drugs and ensure that those who take drugs do not relapse.
"All this is possible only if our youths are resilient, possess the will to change and take individual responsibility for their actions."
This article was first published on March 07, 2015.
Get The New Paper for more stories.