Baby's body found at sea: Mum charged with murder

Baby's body found at sea: Mum charged with murder

The mother of a 17-month-old baby whose body was found floating at sea off Bedok Jetty on Monday has been charged with her son's murder, said the police.

Lim Ann Nee, 44, who was herself rescued by the Police Coast Guard (PCG) in the waters off East Coast Park on Monday, was charged in court on Tuesday.

She now faces the death penalty if convicted of murder.

The Straits Times understands that she has been remanded at Changi Medical Centre for psychiatric evaluation, after being discharged from Singapore General Hospital (SGH) on Tuesday afternoon. The case against her is expected to be heard in court again in about two weeks.

PCG officers first saw Lim struggling in the sea at 6.03pm on Monday, said the police. After being brought to shore, she was taken, while still conscious, to SGH for medical treatment.

Some three hours later, at 9.22pm, the police received another call, informing them that a child's body was found floating in the sea near Bedok Jetty.

The body turned out to be that of Lim's second son, who was pulled out from the water by PCG officers.

Paramedics from the Singapore Civil Defence Force later pronounced the baby boy dead at the PCG headquarters in Pulau Brani.

When The Straits Times visited her father's home on Tuesday evening, he refused to answer any questions. Her family, including her husband, who is believed to be from France, were at the SGH mortuary to identify the infant's body on Tuesday.

This is the third incident to occur in Singapore's eastern shores in just two days.

On Tuesdaymorning, a body believed to be that of 24-year-old Vietnamese Tran Huy Tho - who was reported missing on Monday after he went swimming at East Coast Park - was found floating near a breakwater by the beach.

Meanwhile, the search continued on Tuesday for undergraduate Goh Chuan Kiet, who went missing off the Changi coast on Sunday at about 2pm.

The 23-year-old from SIM Global Education was paddle-boarding with other members of his university's windsurfing club around noon before the weather turned bad and he went missing.

Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to for more stories.

Purchase this article for republication.



Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.