SEVERAL birds and rats have been found dead in Pasir Ris Farmway 2, where a number of animal shelters are located. Volunteers at the shelters suspect that the animals might have been poisoned after eating kibble in styrofoam boxes left along the road.
The volunteers have been told to be more careful when walking the stray dogs under their care in the area. In particular, they should ensure that the canines do not eat anything off the ground.
No dog has been found dead so far.
In a Facebook post on Jan 8, independent dog rescuer Ray Tan sounded an alert to those volunteering in the area. "Lots of dead birds and rats (found) along Pasir Ris Farmway 2. Suspect poisoning. Avoid walking the dogs if possible," the post read.
It was accompanied by a photograph of a dead bird.
Mr Tan, 45, added: "It could be that someone is trying to poison the rats. But it should be done properly, by getting pest control in."
In response to queries, the Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority told The Straits Times last Friday that it was aware of the case. Investigations are ongoing.
"Our officers have visited the site and collected the dead birds for testing," said its spokesman, adding that no food was found though.
Welfare group Mutts and Mittens said its volunteers had removed the leftover food "for fear that more small animals might become victim to poisoning".
Said Dr Siew Tuck Wah, president of welfare group Save Our Street Dogs, which has a shelter in the area: "This area is known for having a high concentration of dogs, so volunteers should ensure they (the dogs) do not consume food lying on the ground."
This article was first published on Jan 16, 2015.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.