SINGAPORE - Blogger Roy Ngerng has "misled" Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and the public a second time and "further aggravated the injury and distress" to Mr Lee by continuing to allege the Prime Minister had misappropriated Central Provident Fund (CPF) savings, said Mr Lee's lawyer yesterday.
He did so by failing to remove, as promised, a YouTube video on the same subject and sending two e-mails that republish blog posts with the same claims, which he was to have taken down on Monday.
Mr Ngerng therefore "only has himself to blame" for losing the opportunity to not pay aggravated damages, said Senior Counsel Davinder Singh.
He added that the blogger's $5,000 offer of damages made yesterday afternoon is "derisory and completely disregards the gravity of your client's conduct, the undisputed fact that the libel is false and malicious and your client's calculated and systematic aggravation of the injury and distress to our client".
The points were made by Mr Singh in two letters sent yesterday to Mr Ngerng's lawyer M. Ravi. The Senior Counsel said the first time the 33-year-old misled the Prime Minister and the public was when he apologised for a May 15 post alleging that CPF savings had been misappropriated.
The health-care worker also gave a written undertaking to remove the post and all links to it, and to not make further allegations to the same effect. But Mr Ngerng had "no intention of honouring them", Mr Singh wrote in his first letter yesterday.
The blogger had also promised on Monday to remove a video.
He did not. Instead, he made it private, a move that "continues to make it available to a select group of people", said Mr Singh.