Blogger removes posts as demanded by PM Lee

Blogger removes posts as demanded by PM Lee
Roy Ngerng Yi Ling speaking during a three-hour protest rally at Speakers’ Corner in Hong Lim Park on 8 June 2013. He is among the bloggers who criticised the introduction of new licensing rules for news websites by the Media Development Authority (MDA).

SINGAPORE - Blogger Roy Ngerng has agreed to Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong's demand to remove four blog posts and a YouTube video by 5pm yesterday.

He, however, requested that yesterday's 5pm deadline to write in with an offer of damages and costs be extended to Wednesday 5pm instead.

Mr Lee, on the basis that Mr Ngerng agreed in his lawyer's letter to take the posts and video down and to not put up similar ones, has allowed the extension.

Yesterday morning, PM Lee's lawyer, Senior Counsel Davinder Singh, had asked Mr Ngerng to take down four posts or face aggravated damages.

Two of those posts were published after Mr Ngerng took down a May 15 post that alleged CPF savings had been misappropriated, and two published in 2012 and 2013.

Mr Singh said the tone and content of Mr Ngerng's posts and video showed that his apology was insincere.

He also said that the apology Mr Ngerng had published on his blog on Friday "was not and never meant to be genuine" and that it had always been Mr Ngerng's intention to use Mr Lee's "lawful and legitimate demand to opportunistically raise his public profile, garner support and sympathy and renew his attack" against Mr Lee.

This article by The Straits Times was published in MyPaper, a free, bilingual newspaper published by Singapore Press Holdings.


Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.