Body in suitcase: Suspects revisit crime scenes

Body in suitcase: Suspects revisit crime scenes
Murder suspect Rasheed Muhammad (left) using his foot and fingers to point to what appeared to be dried bloodstains on the pavement along Syed Alwi Road. His co-accused Ramzan Rizwan was later also taken to the lodging house at 6 Rowell Road where it is believed the murder took place.

SINGAPORE - The two suspects in the Syed Alwi Road murder case were yesterday escorted by investigators to the lodging house where they allegedly killed their victim.

In separate visits, Rasheed Muhammad, 43, and Ramzan Rizwan, 25, visited crime scenes linked to the death of 59-year-old Mr Muhammad Noor - whose legless body was found stuffed inside a suitcase nine days ago.

Rasheed Muhammad was taken to 6 Rowell Road where he had shared a room with Mr Muhammad Noor, then to a nearby hardware shop where he and his co-accused are believed to have bought a hand saw to dismember their victim's body.

All three men came here from Pakistan last month to sell tissue paper.

Rasheed Muhammad arrived at the lodging house in a white van at about 10.20am with officers from the Criminal Investigation Department. Dressed in a red polo tee and dark blue shorts, the bearded man was silent and displayed no emotion.

Fifteen minutes later, he was taken to Syed Alwi Road, where the legless corpse had been discovered. At one point, he used his foot to indicate a spot on the pavement marked by a stain.

Next stop was Veerasamy Road, in front of the hardware shop, where Rasheed Muhammad remained inside the van.

Ramzan Rizwan, 25, was taken to the Rowell Road lodging house at about 11.40am.

Dressed like Rasheed Muhammad, he was also quiet, though at times he appeared wide-eyed and dazed.

At 12.15pm, Ramzan Rizwan was escorted to the Muslim cemetery at Jalan Kubor, where a pair of legs believed to have belonged to the murder victim was found in another suitcase last week.

There, Ramzan Rizwan pointed to a specific spot near the cemetery entrance.

The two suspects each spent about 20 minutes indicating various spots related to the crime, which investigators photographed and marked.

The body of Mr Muhammad Noor was flown back to his family in Lahore yesterday. It had earlier been claimed by officers from the High Commission of Pakistan in Singapore.

The two murder suspects are expected to return to court today.

This article was first published on June 20, 2014.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to for more stories.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.