Body of undergrad lost at sea found

Body of undergrad lost at sea found
The Police Coast Guard rescuing Lim Ann Nee in the sea off East Coast Park on Monday evening. She has been charged over the murder of her 17-month-old son, whose body was found in the sea near Bedok Jetty that night.

Undergraduate Goh Chuan Kiet was the first to go missing in a recent series of mishaps at sea, but his body was the last to be found.

A kayaking enthusiast spotted Mr Goh's shirtless body adrift in the waters about 500m from the Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal on Tuesday evening - more than two days after he disappeared.

"I saw something in the water and guessed it might be a body, but it was only after we got closer that we were sure," said Ms Faezah Abdul Samad, a member of Constant Wind Sailing School, where Mr Goh passed his Level One windsurfing certification just a week ago. She alerted the school, which then called the authorities, who arrived shortly after to retrieve the body.

Ms Faezah had joined the search-and-rescue operations for Mr Goh, which involved Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA) and Police Coast Guard rescue craft.

The 24-year-old student, along with more than 12 other volunteers, spent hours scouring the waters for the missing Singaporean man. They used rubber dinghies loaded with radios, transponders and rescue supplies.

Mr Goh, a 23-year-old student from SIM Global Education, was paddle-boarding with his friends at Changi when he went missing at about 2pm on Sunday after a storm broke out in the area.

The MPA, without naming him, confirmed on Wednesday that the body had been found near the ferry terminal at about 6.20pm on Tuesday.

"The body is established to be that of the male Singaporean who went missing in the waters off the National Service Resort and Country Club," said a spokesman.

On Wednesday was also a day of grief for two other families as they arrived at the Singapore General Hospital (SGH) mortuary to claim the bodies of their loved ones.

The father of a 17-month-old boy was at the mortuary in the afternoon with a bag of stuffed toys that was cremated with the infant later in the day. The Frenchman was in tears as he made his way out after claiming his son's body.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.