Boon Tat Street murder: Attacker looked 'calm' after stabbing son-in-law

Boon Tat Street murder: Attacker looked 'calm' after stabbing son-in-law
PHOTO: The New Paper reader

More details have emerged about the murder that occurred along Boon Tat Street yesterday afternoon (July 10), in which a 69-year-old man allegedly stabbed a 38-year-old man.

Police were alerted to the incident at around 1.22pm and upon arrival at the scene, found the victim lying motionless outside eatery A Poke Theory.

He was conveyed unconscious to Singapore General Hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries at 2.31pm.

According to The Straits Times, the deceased is understood to be Mr Spencer Tuppani Shamlal Tuppani, the former director of shipping firm TNS Ocean Lines.

The stabbing is believed to have taken place at a coffee shop at the junction of Boon Tat Street and Telok Ayer Street.

The 69-year-old man was arrested and will be charged in court on Wednesday (July 12) for the offence of murder, which carries the death penalty.

Mr Vinnie Ang, an employee at A Poke Theory, told The Straits Times that he tried to help the victim, but the older man pushed him away and said: "That is my son-in-law. Don't help him. Let him die."

He added that the attacker, who appeared calm, put down a knife he was clutching to make a phone call.

According to Mr Ang, the suspect told someone on the phone: "I couldn't sleep at night. I have already done it. I have already stabbed him. Don't cry. I'm old already and I'm not afraid to go to jail. What's done is done."

Ms Eevon Loo, 29-year-old assistant manager at A Poke Theory, recounted the scene: "The attacker was just standing there, with the knife still in his hands, just looking at the man on the ground. He was very calm, it was so scary."

She also described the knife as about 10cm long and "very sharp", reported ST.

Boon Tat St stabbing victim was a businessman who 'sold everything he owned' to save dying firm

"He then placed the knife on one of our food trays and just stood there till the police came," said Ms Loo, adding that all the customers in the shop were shaken by the incident.

"We locked the front door quickly, as the man was holding the knife. And we got customers to exit from the back."

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.