Call for public vigilance against bush fire threat

Call for public vigilance against bush fire threat
A charred area in the Central Catchment Nature Reserve following a March 5 blaze that required the combined forces of the SCDF, PUB and NParks in order to put out. Firefighting operations took over four hours to complete.

SINGAPORE - The rain may have returned to douse fears of Singapore's garden city becoming brown and filled with haze.

But attracting considerably less public attention have been more than 400 bush fires sparked off since the dry spell began in January.

Many of these burned in isolated, vegetated areas and were extinguished swiftly by the authorities.

However, one that started two weeks ago in the Central Catchment Nature Reserve proved less straightforward and has prompted the Government to call for public vigilance.

Accounts obtained by The Straits Times from the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF), national water agency PUB and the National Parks Board (NParks) have shed light on what the latter said was the reserve's first fire in more than a decade.

The March 5 blaze near MacRitchie Reservoir required all three agencies to muster their forces. It highlighted the challenges of fighting fires deep in our nature reserves and showed how flash fires pose a threat to both visitors and precious flora and fauna.

It broke out about 400m down the reserve's Lornie Trail, scorching forest half a football field in area. Damage was limited mostly to undergrowth, an NParks spokesman said.

The next day, Environment and Water Resources Minister Vivian Balakrishnan expressed gratitude that a jogger had reported the fire before it spread farther.

Within eight minutes of being alerted at 6.20pm, firefighters arrived at the reservoir, only to find that the Lornie Trail was too narrow for their fire engine to access.

To complicate matters further, the trail gantry was locked. The SCDF's smaller Red Rhino and two fire bikes had to wait for NParks' staff to unlock it at 6.50pm before entering. Other firefighters followed on foot.

No water was immediately available to fight the fire, as hoses could not stretch the distance from the fire engine. Instead, the crew used powerful compressed air foam from backpacks, canvas beaters and fire extinguishers.

The blaze was put out at 8pm though water was still needed to "damp down" the embers - a precautionary measure that the SCDF takes to ensure fires do not rekindle. For this, firefighters had to turn to the nearby reservoir.

But with levels there lower than usual, they had to board a PUB boat to pump water from a deeper part of the reservoir. The SCDF completed its operations at about 10.45pm, more than four hours after arriving at the scene.

Nature Society conservationist Tony O'Dempsey warned that if a fire were to break out deep within the forest, rather than near the main road like this one did, it would be even harder to put out.

Firefighters would have to rely on NParks' rangers to guide them down forest trails.

Such a fire could also "spread out of control" and endanger visitors, he added.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.