KOTA KINABALU- A misunderstanding at a nightspot in Lahad Datu could have led to the shooting incident which led to the death of a soldier and two people being injured, police say.
Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Hamza Taib said the two injured were workers of a karaoke centre.
He said two more army commandos had been detained, bringing to 13 the number of soldiers picked up. Thirteen weapons were also seized for investigations.
"We believe we have solved the case. All the suspects have been remanded for a week," he said yesterday.
Sabah CID chief SAC Ommar Mammah said investigations revealed that a misunderstanding had occurred between a group of soldiers and the karaoke centre workers at 4.45am on Wednesday.
He said two of the karaoke centre's bouncers, who are Indonesians aged 31 and 38, were being treated at the Lahad Datu hospital for gunshot wounds.
Some witnesses had claimed an argument had occurred at the nightspot between the soldiers and karaoke staff about two hours before the fatal shooting of L/Kpl Mohd Fiffixezafey Mat Hussin, 28.
His body was flown back to Pasir Puteh in Kelantan for burial yesterday.
The Johor-based soldier was sent here for a three-month operation in Lahad Datu in April. He leaves behind his wife Norhidayah Hasbullah, 27, who is a teacher.
Norhidayah, who is two months pregnant, said she was shocked when she heard the news from her husband's friend.
She urged the authorities to investigate the case thoroughly and bring her husband's killer to justice.
They were supposed to celebrate their first wedding anniversary in July when Mohd Fiffixezafey returned home.