Couple found dead in Geylang hotel: They were seen arguing in lift

Couple found dead in Geylang hotel: They were seen arguing in lift
COVERED: Curtains were drawn to prevent passers-by from peering into the lobby while investigations were ongoing.

SINGAPORE - A couple who were found dead at a Geylang hotel on Sunday in what appears to have been a murder-suicide were earlier seen quarrelling in the lift.

Indian national Chin Nasally Baskar, 31, and Indonesian maid Ruli Wadyawati, 29, had checked into Hotel 81 Palace at 5pm that day, reported Chinese daily Lianhe Wanbao.

While the couple was in the room of the Lorong 16 Geylang hotel, other guests claimed that the television volume had been turned up so loud that they heard it from the corridor, Shin Min Daily News reported.

The couple were said to have rented the room for two hours and were scheduled to check out at 7pm.

When the two did not show up at the front desk, hotel staff went up to the third-storey room, where they found the two guests dead.

The two work permit holders had been on their day off.


Their employers were shocked by the news.

When interviewed by Shin Min at the mortuary yesterday morning, Ms Wadyawati's employer said the maid was meant to be home at 6pm but did not show up.

The employer, who did not want to be named, said the family was worried and wondered what had happened to the Indonesian woman.

It was only close to midnight, when the police called her, that she found out what had happened.

She added that her former helper had not "been in Singapore for long".

Mr Baskar's employers described him as hardworking and gentle.

They also said that he had been working in Singapore for about five years. He was known to be single and the employers were shocked when they received a call from the police.

Shin Min reported that it understands Ms Wadyawati sustained knife wounds on her neck, while Mr Baskar was believed to have hung himself.

A police spokesman confirmed they received a call at 7.45pm on Sunday. Upon arrival, Ms Wadyawati and Mr Baskar were both found motionless.

Paramedics subsequently pronounced the man and woman dead at the scene.

Hotel guests said that there were no knives in the room and even the cups in the bathroom are not glass.

The New Paper understands that bloodstains were found in several parts of the room.

Police officers were seen questioning the hotel staff at the reception area.

Mr Andrew Fock, 25, who walked into the hotel to enquire about room rates, said he saw police speaking to a woman in Mandarin.

Police told The New Paper last night that investigations into the unnatural deaths are still ongoing.

This article was first published on January 3, 2015.
Get The New Paper for more stories.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.