CPIB to set up centre for walk-in corruption complaints even as cases hit 30-year low

CPIB to set up centre for walk-in corruption complaints even as cases hit 30-year low

SINGAPORE - Corruption cases involving the private sector make up 85 per cent of all registered cases for investigation in 2014, while the remaining 15 per cent are cases involving the public sector.

The Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB) also added Thursday in its inaugural report that the number of corruption complaints and cases investigated in Singapore is at the lowest in the past three decades.

The government agency, which reports directly to the Prime Minister's Office, will also be setting up a one-stop corruption reporting centre in the city to accept walk-in complaints from the public conveniently and discreetly. CPIB announced this after figures showed that complaints lodged in person was the most effective mode to result in investigations.

"These achievements would not be possible without the formidable political will of our founding father, the late Mr Lee Kuan Yew," said Director CPIB Mr Wong Hong Kuan.

"Mr Lee was a tireless champion against corruption. His personal tenacity and deep sense of mission to rid corruption allowed the CPIB to discharge its duties fearlessly, and transformed a corruption-ridden society into a citizenry which now abhors corruption."

CPIB stressed in a statement that the low corruption in Singapore is not a natural state of affairs.

"Corruption ultimately comes from weaknesses of human nature - greed, temptation, the desire to amass wealth or to obtain business through unfair means. Even with harsh penalties, there will still be some who will try to break the laws,' CPIB said.

"It is important that laws must be rigorously enforced and corrupt behaviour continues to be socially unacceptable."

grongloh@sph.com.sg

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.