SINGAPORE - The first group of 23 Singaporean students returned from strife-torn Egypt on Wednesday morning, and more are expected later in the week.
Responding to queries on the unrest and violence in Egypt, a Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) spokesman said the Singapore embassy has been facilitating the departure of students who want to leave the country.
Another three batches of students are to return to Singapore over the course of this week.
Said the spokesman: "The safety of Singaporeans is MFA's highest priority.
"Over the last six weeks since the disruption of security in Egypt, especially in Cairo, the Singapore Embassy in Cairo has remained in close touch with all e-registered Singaporeans in Egypt.
"There have been no reports of affected Singaporeans so far."
MFA said the embassy has also extended assistance to Singaporeans residing in Egypt.
For instance, it has been providing up-to-date information via e-mail and SMS so that they can avoid areas of public disturbances.