Customer jailed for punching son of pub owner

Customer jailed for punching son of pub owner

A SWEDISH student who repeatedly punched the head of a pub owner's son after a dispute has been jailed for one week.

Hillerlov Tor Ulrik, 23, pleaded guilty in March to causing hurt to Mr Howard Lim, 19, outside Jordan Pub in Changi Village Road at about 4am on July 27, 2013. The pub is owned by the victim's father, Mr Lim Keow Soon, 50.

Hillerlov and his father were having drinks outside the pub at about 2am that day.

At about 3am, Mr Lim Keow Soon told them the pub was closing, and he was unable to take further orders from them. They were also asked to leave.

At about 4am, the duo got into a dispute with the senior Mr Lim. The victim was in the pub when he noticed the commotion and saw that his father had fallen to the ground.

He went out to help as Hillerlov was about to throw a punch at his father.

Hillerlov saw the victim approaching and a struggle broke out between them. The victim lost his balance and fell, and Hillerlov punched his head multiple times. He was arrested after the police were called.

District Judge Janet Wang, who sentenced Hillerlov on Tuesday, noted that he had pleaded guilty at the outset and offered to compensate the victim.

But she agreed with the prosecution that a deterrent sentence was warranted in the light of the public disquiet surrounding alcohol-related offences.

She also said it was fortuitous that no serious injuries were caused to the victim.

In his submission, Deputy Public Prosecutor Quek Jing Feng called for a stiff sentence so as to afford operators of businesses and their employees, such as Mr Lim and his son, enough protection.

He said alcohol-related violence was on the rise, with police statistics showing that serious hurt cases reported at nightspots rose from 15 in 2012 to 21 in 2013, and 25 last year.

"It is imperative that the service staff of entertainment establishments are protected from unwarranted assaults by drunken patrons," he said, urging the court to send a strong signal that such conduct would not be tolerated.

Mr Quek argued that Hillerlov had acted violently in the entire episode. He had continued assaulting the victim even after he had gained the upper hand.

Hillerlov could have been jailed for up to two years and/or fined up to $5,000.

This article was first published on May 02, 2015.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to for more stories.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.