Dad cried after seeing wreck son was in

Dad cried after seeing wreck son was in
Passenger Vincent Ng was in a taxi that was crushed under a tipper truck early on Wednesday morning, Oct 23 2013. He and the taxi driver miraculously survived the accident, while the taxi was a mangled heap of metal.

Trapped among mangled steel, Mr Vincent Ng Say Ho called his parents. He had been in a bad accident, he told them.

Mr Ng, who works at PricewaterhouseCoopers which provides assurance, tax and advisory services, was on his way to meet clients in Tuas on Wednesday when a tipper truck went out of control and crashed onto the taxi he was in.

He was pinned in a foetal position when the roof of the cab collapsed on him.

Upon receiving the news, his parents and brother rushed to the National University Hospital (NUH). They arrived there a full half-hour before him.

While the ashen-faced family paced up and down the corridor outside the hospital's emergency department, Singapore Civil Defence Force officers were still extricating him from the crumpled taxi.

The family was soon joined by Mr Ng's colleagues whom he had also called while trapped, The New Paper understands.

Mr Ng arrived at the emergency department a little after 11.25am and was taken straight to the treatment room, bypassing his worried parents and friends.

Doctors put him through a battery of tests and scans to ascertain the extent of his injuries.

Three-and-a-half hours later, the Ngs had yet to see their son.

Sitting stoically in the waiting room outside the high dependency ward, his parents spoke in low voices.

It was not until this reporter showed them a photo of the wreckage that the emotions flowed. His father broke into sobs after realising how lucky his son was to get out of the wreck alive.

He declined to be interviewed.

A doctor emerged at around 2pm to brief them on Mr Ng's condition and treatment. Once again, the older Mr Ng sobbed out of relief. TNP understands that at around 4.30pm - almost 5½ hours after they first got to NUH - the Ngs finally caught a glimpse of their son after he was literally snatched from the jaws of death.

Next: It's a miracle there were survivors


Get The New Paper for more stories.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.