TEMERLOH- A businessman Datuk is among five people picked up by police over the attempted murder of a contractor in Mentakab.
Sources said the Datuk, a 48-year-old managing director, was picked up by police at his house here on Sunday to assist in investigation into the case which saw the contractor being shot three times at close range.
It is learnt that the suspect had obtained his Datukship - Darjah Indera Mahkota Pahang - from the state earlier this year.
Four other people - two couples, aged between 22 and 38 - were detained by police during separate raids in Taman Melawati and Wangsa Maju in Kuala Lumpur on Sunday, which also saw the seizure of a .38 revolver, five spent shells and 45 live bullets.
Initial investigations revealed that the shooting was related to dispute over business and money involving hundreds of thousands of ringgit.
It is believed that the police are in the midst of tracking down a foreign national to wrap up the investigation.
Pahang police chief Senior Deputy Comm Datuk Sharifuddin Abdul Ghani confirmed the arrests.
"The case is considered solved," he said, adding that the 36-year-old foreigner was believed to be the assailant.
A remand order had been taken out against the five suspects until June 8.
On Friday, the 37-year-old contractor was shot thrice at close range outside his office in Jalan Zabidin here.
During the 9.15pm incident, two of the bullets hit his upper abdomen and is now hospitalised.