Driver gets heart attack, crashes into tree

Driver gets heart attack, crashes into tree

A 51-year-old bus driver crashed his vehicle into a tree at the parking area outside Woodlands Point shopping centre after having a heart attack.

The accident, which happened around 6am yesterday, also involved two motorcycles, two vans, a taxi and a lorry, police said.

The bus also hit the rear of a taxi.

A Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) spokesman said the driver suffered from cardiac arrest, causing the accident.

SCDF officers then had to perform on-site emergency rescue procedures, including CPR, on him.

The bus driver was taken to Khoo Teck Puat Hospital by ambulance, where he was later pronounced dead, said a police spokesman.

The other vehicles involved were stationary and not carrying passengers when the accident occurred, the spokesman added.

A witness, who runs a fruit shop near the scene, said that based on the make and look of the bus, it might have been an excursion bus carrying tourists.

But it is not known which company the bus belongs to, nor how many passengers it was carrying.

The police said that aside from the bus driver, there were no other casualties.

Mr Syed Muneef, 43, who reached the scene after the accident had taken place, said he saw the front of the bus wedged against the rear of a CityCab taxi.

The self-employed man, who tipped The New Paper off about the accident, said he did not see any other vehicles at the scene.

A witness told The New Paper that she heard a bang at about 6.40am.


Ms Hou Min Yu, 26, a sales assistant working at a mobile and electronics shop nearby, recounted: "When I turned around, I was quite alarmed to see that the bus had already crashed into the tree. There were two motorcycles underneath the bus.

"At that time, many workers were resting and hanging around the area and a crowd formed around the accident site quickly."

She was unsure if there was anyone trapped beneath the bus.

Other witnesses whom TNP spoke to also said that they did not see anyone injured. The cause of the accident is unknown and police investigations are ongoing.

This article was first published on June 12, 2015.
Get The New Paper for more stories.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.