Early morning thunderstorm causes flash flood

Early morning thunderstorm causes flash flood

Heavy rain caused flash floods across Singapore after a thunderstorm early on Tuesday morning, though most areas escaped major damage.

Worst hit was Pasir Ris Polyclinic, where two ceiling boards collapsed after a build-up of water. No one was injured in the incident, which happened at around 6am. Water puddles also formed on three levels.

The clinic, run by SingHealth Polyclinics, was closed on Tuesday for the Hari Raya Haji public holiday but is expected to re-open as normal.

When The Straits Times visited the place in Pasir Ris Drive 4 on Tuesday afternoon, workers were assessing the damage.

The clinic director, Dr Peter Moey Kirm Seng, said the company has conducted "thorough checks" to ensure that the clinic is safe and ready for operation.

"The polyclinic has been cleaned up and damaged ceiling boards have been replaced," he said.

"In the meantime, we are working closely with the managing agent of Pasir Ris East Community Building to investigate the cause of this incident".

Tuesday's thunderstorm started at around 5am and lasted for close to five hours. Flash floods were reported at several locations. At 5.40am, intense rain caused flooding on the Pan Island Expressway towards Changi near the Tampines Avenue 5 exit.

The flood waters subsided after four minutes, according to national water agency PUB's Facebook and Twitter updates.

Three hours later, flash floods were reported at Upper Paya Lebar Road.

At Changi Airport, soaked carpets were spotted at the skytrain station of Terminal 2's transit area after rainwater leaked in. A Changi Airport spokesman said it was investigating how the water got in.


Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.