Empty cable car crashes down at work site

Empty cable car crashes down at work site
A cable car with a worker trapped inside, after an empty cabin had crashed to the ground, causing the entire line to grind to a halt.

A cable car being installed at a Sentosa construction site crashed to the ground yesterday, causing the entire line to grind to a halt, including one cabin with a worker inside.

The Straits Times understands that the technical supervisor, part of the team setting up a new cable car system on Sentosa Island, was trapped in mid-air for about three hours before it was deemed safe enough to resume service and move him to safety.

The accident happened at the island's intra-island cable way construction site, along Imbiah Walk, yesterday afternoon.

No one was hurt.

Installation works are ongoing as Sentosa prepares to roll out another cable car service next year.

The line where the accident happened is independent of the existing cable way system from Mount Faber to Sentosa, said a Sentosa spokesman.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said it received a call at 4.25pm, and rescuers arrived at the scene in six minutes. SCDF deployed emergency vehicles such as a fire engine and ambulance, an aerial ladder of about 60m and its Disaster Assistance and Rescue Team.

The suspended cabin was moved to the nearby Imbiah station after thorough checks by SCDF and onsite engineers.

The new line, which will transport visitors within the island between Merlion Plaza, Imbiah Lookout and Siloso Point, is expected to hold up to 38 cabins - 30 more than the current cableway that links Sentosa to Mount Faber.

At 860m, it is half the length of the existing link. Construction work began earlier this year.

When The Straits Times visited the construction site yesterday, the police had cordoned it off, together with a sideroad near Underwater World.

Sentosa Development Corp said it is working closely with its contractor to look into the incident. "We would like to assure everyone that the existing Singapore Cable Car line is unaffected and remains in operation," said a spokesman.

The Building and Construction Authority is also investigating.

In 1983, seven people died when two cable cars on their way back from Sentosa plunged 55m into the sea.


This article was first published on August 11, 2014.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.