'Everything happened in a flash'

'Everything happened in a flash'
TRAGIC: A traffic jam stretching more than 1km formed after a motorbike rammed into the rear of Mr Aziz Amat’s (left, in blue) car
PHOTO: The New Paper

What was meant to be a happy day of Hari Raya visiting turned into sadness for a family yesterday.

A motorcyclist rammed into the rear of Mr Aziz Amat's sedan yesterday afternoon. The male rider was killed on the spot and his female pillion rider lay on the road, writhing in pain.

Mr Aziz, 46, a trailer driver, told The New Paper: "It was supposed to be a happy day. My wife, our kids and I had dressed up to go visiting. But we're now sad over what happened."

He said he had been driving the family to his brother's home.

He had signalled to make a left turn and had slowed down at Yishun Avenue 2, in front of Khatib MRT station, at about 2.30pm.

Before he could turn left to Yishun Ring Road, there was a bang and the car jolted forward.

"Everything happened in a flash. My wife was flung forward and knocked herself against the dashboard. My kids started crying," said Mr Aziz.

When he got out, he saw two people lying on the road behind his car, which had a huge dent on the boot.

"I could tell that the female rider was in pain as she was struggling and squirming on the road. The guy was motionless. I think he was gone by then," he said.

Mr Aziz immediately called 999.

The police and the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said they received a call for assistance at 2.35pm.

An SCDF spokesman said it sent two ambulances to the scene, where paramedics pronounced a man, who was in his 60s, dead.

A female pillion rider, also in her 60s, was taken conscious to Khoo Teck Puat Hospital.

Teacher Patrick Loh, 64, saw the aftermath of the accident on his way home and called The New Paper hotline. "I was shocked and sad to see that someone had died. It's a reminder for me and hopefully others to be careful on the roads," he said.


Mr Loh said the motorcycle was mangled, with glass and metal parts scattered all over the road.

When TNP reached the scene at about 4.30pm, there was a traffic jam stretching more than 1km from Khatib MRT to the junction of Yishun Avenue 2 and Yishun Avenue 1.

Yishun resident Bob Chua, who is in his 60s, said the jam had formed when he passed by the area at 4pm.

Mr Aziz was standing near his car while his wife and children were at Khatib MRT station to be out of the blazing sun. All of them escaped serious injuries.

"We're waiting for the investigation officer and we're going to help as much as we can. We're really sad to see someone lose his life this way," he said.

The police are investigating.


This article was first published on July 20, 2015.
Get The New Paper for more stories.

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.