SINGAPORE - A former private-bus driver who caused a death through his negligence was fined $8,000 and banned from driving for five years on Friday.
Mohd Hanafi Maulud, 53, was driving a Toyota mini-bus when he ran over Mr Ayasamy Soundarajan, 53, at a pedestrian crossing in Bedok North Road on Nov 21 last year.
He was making a right turn at a green light when the accident occurred at around 6.25am.
A district court heard that Hanafi was driving along Bedok Reservoir Road, and was waiting for a bus in the oncoming lane to cross the junction before turning right into Bedok North Road.
But he failed to keep a proper lookout and did not notice the mentally handicapped pedestrian before he hit him.
Deputy Public Prosecutor Yvonne Poon said it was only after the impact that Hanafi noticed what had happened and applied his brakes.
By the time the bus came to a stop, Mr Soundarajan was pinned under the vehicle.
Hanafi's lawyer, Mr Chandra Mohan K. Nair, said the father of two now works as a gardener. Before the accident, he had a clean driving record for 30 years. He also suffers from illnesses such as asthma and hypertension, and knee pain.
Hanafi's lawyer said his client felt extreme regret and remorse for causing the loss of a life.
"He truly apologises to the family of the deceased and to this court for his wrongful action," he said.
Hanafi, who paid $5,500 on Friday and will pay the balance in two months, could have been jailed for up to two years and/or fined.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.