Family conflict could be behind housewife's death, says cop

Family conflict could be behind housewife's death, says cop
Finding solace: Supt Harith Kam (right) consoling the victim’s husband at the Raja Permaisuri Bainun Hospital mortuary.

IPOH - A woman died after her neck was slashed by uninvited guests to her house in what police believed was a staged robbery to cover up the real motive.

The 67-year-old woman, who is believed to be a second wife, was attacked at about 7.30pm on Friday after she had finished her prayers, Taiping OCPD Superintendent Harith Kam Abdullah said.

She was with her husband, who has the title Datuk, at their home in Taman Lake View, Taiping, then.

Supt Harith Kam said the couple were done with their prayers when a 78-year-old female relative and her 57-year-old male worker - came to pay them a visit.

"Upon entering the house, two other men wearing a visor and a helmet suddenly appeared from behind the guests. They rushed into the house holding a parang," he told reporters at the Raja Permaisuri Bainun Hospital mortuary yesterday.

Supt Harith Kam said one of the two men tied up the 82-year-old husband using a scarf and threatened the male worker by holding a knife at his throat.

"The second man took the victim into the bedroom. Both men fled the scene later."

When the male worker went into the room to check on the woman, he found that she had already died, her body lying in a pool of blood, he said.

Although police found jewellery strewn across the floor, Supt Harith Kam confirmed that none of the valuables were taken, saying that the robbery might have been staged as a coverup.

Asked about the 78-year-old female guest during the time when the husband and male worker were threatened, he said "she was just there".

"We recovered a short knife of about 15cm outside the house. We believe it could be the murder weapon," he said.

After a chat with the 82-year-old Datuk, police found that the incident could have been a result of a family conflict.

He said the two guests, who have been detained to assist in the investigation, were believed to be close relatives of the couple.

When met at the mortuary, the victim's husband, who declined to be named, was emotional and asked for privacy.

"What happened is according to God's will. Let Him judge and punish those who are responsible for this," he said gently.

It is learned that the couple had been married for 36 years.

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.