IPOH: A father and son allegedly involved in the murders of four people in Tapah last year have been released, but will be required to wear an electronic monitoring device for up to 59 days.
The 57-year-old mechanic and his eldest son, 20, were released by Sessions Court judge Murtazadi Amran following an application by deputy public prosecutor Harris Ong Mohd Jeffery Ong.
"As investigations have not been completed within the given time frame under the Prevention of Crime Act (PCA), they are to be released.
"However, they are still being investigated under the PCA," Harris Ong told journalists after proceedings here on Friday.
"They will be wearing the devices for a maximum 59 days while waiting for further orders," he said.
"If there is no action within that period, they will walk free," he added.
The two men were detained last year to aid investigations into the murders of four people, believed to have occurred at the father's workshop in Tapah.
Four people, including the mechanic's wife and 17-year-old son, were arrested in October.
Both the wife and younger son have been released due to lack of evidence.