Female hawker suffers facial burns from suspected gas leak

Female hawker suffers facial burns from suspected gas leak

SINGAPORE - A female hawker in her 70s sustained facial burns when she attempted to cook at her stall at Empress Mall along Farrer Road this morning.

Madam Chan, owner of a neighbouring stall, told evening daily Lianhe Wanbao that a fire broke out due to a suspected gas leak at the stove the elderly woman used.

She also added that the injured hawker had rushed out from her stall with a 'blackened' face while wearing a partially burnt sarong.

Another witness, Mr Zhong, described 'frightening boils and peeling skin' on the elderly hawker's burnt face.

The victim's husband hurriedly brought her to a nearby clinic to assess the extent of her burns. A Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) ambulance arrived shortly after to send her to the National University Hospital (NUH) for treatment.

Police officers and a representative from the gas company were seen conducting their investigations when reporters reached the scene, said Lianhe Wanbao.

The burn victim was reportedly calm while her husband appeared anxious before she was sent for medical attention.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.