She thought it was the haze when she first spotted smoke from her flat's front door.
Customer service officer loo Xiao Wei was in the living room waiting to catch her favourite drama serial at 7pm.
But the "haze" she spotted on Thursday turned out to be a fire at a hardware shop at 88, circuit road. The hardware shop is part of a two-storey shophouse.
Mrs loo, who is in her 30s, told The New Paper: "When i passed the shop earlier, at about 6pm, to buy Toto, i was talking to the store owner, and joking that her shop unit number was one of the winning 4D numbers on Thursday."
She added that the hardware shop owner was already in the midst of closing the shop for the day.
Her neighbour called the singapore civil Defence Force (SCDF) about the fire.
"The SCDF and police vehicles parked in the carpark and by the road attracted many people," she said.
Two fire bikes, a red rhino, a fire engine, and two support vehicles were sent to the scene, said an SCDF spokesman.
The shop's front roller shutter was broken and the fire was brought under control within 10 minutes using two jets, he said. There were no casualties.
Get The New Paper for more stories.