A florist known for his work at society weddings has bagged a top design accolade at this year's President's Design Award, becoming the first floral designer to do so in the award's eight-year history.
Mr Harijanto Setiawan, 41, was one of six winners in the Designer of the Year category at the annual awards.
The Indonesia-born, Singapore permanent resident was over the moon when he was notified of his win. It was the third time he was nominated.
Taking home this award tops off a good year for the architecture-trained designer.
In May, he won the Silver- Gilt award at the Chelsea Flower Show, the most prestigious horticulture show in the world. The Silver-Gilt award is given to participants with potential to be a Gold Medal winner in future.
Mr Harijanto, who runs his shop Boenga at Harding Road and is the president of the Floral Designers Society Singapore, said: "Not many people appreciate or even know about the floral design industry. Winning is a good signal to the industry."
The five other winners are:
- Mr Patrick Chia, 44, director of Squeeze Design and the Design Incubation Centre, and creative director of d.lab.
- Mr Richard Ho, 57, principal architect of RichardHO Architects.
- Mr Alfie Leong, 43, designer and director of fashion label The Little Voice.
- Mr Pann Lim, 40, creative officer of Kinetic Design and Advertising.
- Mr Yip Yuen Hong, 54, principal architect of ip:li Architects.