Glass display explosion shatters lull in bakery

Glass display explosion shatters lull in bakery
The cake showcase at Tarts & Co had been overheating and breaking down, says Mr Daryl Lim, the bakery’s co-founder.

Baker Yeni Yeo, 21, was taking a short break when the glass panel of one of the cake showcases in her bakery suddenly shattered on Thursday afternoon.

There was a loud boom, which startled the staff of neighbouring shops. Glass pieces were scattered on the floor of Tarts & Co bakery at Star Vista mall.

No one was hurt in the incident, which took place at 4.30pm.

"Luckily, there were no customers at that time as it was a lull period," said Ms Yeo, adding that there were two other employees in the shop with her then.

When The Straits Times visited the bakery yesterday, the damaged cake showcase was covered with a black cloth.

The bakery's co-founder, Mr Daryl Lim, 26, said he has had problems with the showcase since he bought it last July from Q'son Kitchen Equipment, such as overheating and breakdowns.

A Q'son spokesman said its technical supervisor went to the shop yesterday to assess the damage.

She said bakery staff had moved the cake showcase more than 1m from its original position to make way for a chiller.

The slightest crack, strain or weakness could cause the glass to explode, she added.

Mr Lim said he has another piece of equipment from Q'son that has also broken down several times. "I have given up on using it for display and have used it for storage instead."


This article was first published on May 30, 2015.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.