HAGATNA - A Guam man who killed three Japanese tourists and injured 11 more during a frenzied knife attack on the Pacific island was jailed for three life terms on Thursday.
Chad Ryan De Soto has shown no remorse over the brutal attack in February last year and will spend the rest of his life in jail without the prospect of parole, Superior Court judge Anita Sukola said.
"In your own statement to the court your remorsefulness did not come out, you were more concentrating about mental illness," Sukola told the court.
She said De Soto, who was convicted last month after a jury rejected his insanity plea, was likely to commit more crimes unless he was incarcerated.
The 22-year old ploughed his car into a group of people who were enjoying an evening stroll in the tourist district of Tumon, and then leapt from the vehicle and attacked bystanders at random with a knife in each hand.
All of the victims were Japanese, including an eight-month-old baby and three-year-old toddler who both survived.