SINGAPORE - The Housing Board (HDB) has responded to a Facebook posting from an applicant who claimed that her family's application to buy a flat had been repeatedly rejected for the last five years.
The applicant, Facebook user Rose Devilrose, had posted on Oct 15 that HDB had assumed that her family did not have sufficient savings, and had failed to accurately assess if her family could afford the flat.
The applicant and her family also refused to leave HDB Hub until they received an answer, only agreeing to leave after the police were called in and an officer told them to return the next day to speak to a senior authority.
In a reply on the HDB Speaks portal on Oct 28, HDB clarified that the family had not actually submitted a formal application to buy a flat in the last 5 years, and had only applied for a housing loan.
The Housing Board also refuted the claim that it had rejected the family's housing loan application without an explanation.
"In the various correspondences and interactions with 'Rose' and her family, HDB officers had asked for documentary proof of their financial position, a routine request made for every loan application," says HDB, adding that it did not receive the required documents or complete information from the family.
HDB also stated that security officers at HDB Hub had only sought police assistance when a member of the family displayed violent behaviour, and not because the family had refused to leave as claimed.
It also confirmed that officers met the family again on Oct 16 and restated their commitment to work with them to reach a viable housing solution.