He agreed to be slashed for violent robbery plan

He agreed to be slashed for violent robbery plan

It was an elaborate and violent plan to pocket almost $500,000 from his employers, a money-changing company.

Delivery driver Suleiman Latiff even willingly allowed himself to be slashed to look like he was robbed in January last year.

He then made a police report claiming he was attacked by two men who fled with the money, which he was supposed to deliver to money changers here.

Yesterday, Suleiman, 28, a Malaysian, was sentenced to four years' jail for misappropriating RM800,000 (S$295,800) and $200,000 last year.

A charge of making a false report was also taken into consideration.

Court papers said Suleiman was then employed as a delivery driver by Malaysian money changers JBS Global.

On Jan 29 last year, he was tasked with travelling to Singapore to collect cash from a colleague and deliver it to money changers in Yishun and HarbourFront.

But he and his accomplices hatched a plan to misappropriate the money.

After collecting the money, Suleiman rode his motorcycle and met fellow Malaysian Abdul Wahid Zainudin, 33, on the Bukit Timah Expressway (BKE) at about 6.30pm that day.

Suleiman handed the cash over to Wahid and two other Malaysian accomplices, who were in a black car and a blue motorcycle.

Wahid then took out a knife from his bag and repeatedly cut Suleiman's body to look like he had been attacked and robbed.

Suleiman had earlier been briefed that he would be injured and had agreed to go along with the plan because he wanted to get rich quickly.

Wahid and the other accomplices then drove off.

Meanwhile, Suleiman phoned his colleague and lied that he had been robbed. His colleague took Suleiman to a clinic for treatment.


Suleiman made a police report claiming that he was riding along the BKE when a driver in a black Honda drove near him, causing him to stop.

He lied that two men grabbed him, pulled his haversack and cut him on his back with a penknife. He added that his stomach and fingers were injured when he put up a struggle.

But he was found out and arrested the next day.

One of his accomplices, security manager Suthagar Rajamoney, 28, was jailed for a year in September last year, after he admitted to intentionally aiding the staged robbery.

Wahid and another accomplice, Sukumaran Turasamy, 44, are still on the run.

Suleiman's sentence was backdated to his arrest on Jan 30 last year, reported The Straits Times Online.

For committing criminal breach of trust, Suleiman could have been jailed up to 15 years and fined.

This article was first published on Jan 23, 2015.
Get The New Paper for more stories.


Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.