He had so much blood on him

He had so much blood on him
The body of the victim, Mr Ganesahn, an Indian national, was taken away at on 27 August 2015, near Kheam Hock Road in Bukit Timah. He was cutting the highest branch of the 25m-tall tree when the branch broke and he fell.
PHOTO: The New Paper

A worker died yesterday while suspended from a tree, after his head was struck by a branch.

The Indian national, who was identified as Mr Ganesahn, 45, was cutting off the top branch of a 25m-tall tree near Kheam Hock Road in Bukit Timah when tragedy struck.

Mr Ali Hatib, 35, a co-worker of the victim, said they were working in the area next to the Pan-Island Expressway (PIE) at around 1.30pm.

"He was on top of the tree cutting the highest branch when it broke and he fell," he said.

There were differing accounts of where happened.

Mr Hatib said: "He was hit by a branch that went through his left cheek and he didn't move after that."

But another co-worker, who did not want to be identified, said Mr Ganesahn was not impaled by the branch, which had struck his left cheek with great force.

After the impact, Mr Ganesahn's limp body was left hanging about 10m above the ground from a rope attached to his safety harness.

"When we brought him down, he had so much blood on his head," said Mr Hatib.

"Then we called the police."


Mr Hatib said Mr Ganesahn, who had worked in Singapore for about six years, had a family back in India.

A maid who works at a nearby house said she heard a scream coming from the area at about 3.45pm.

Ms Intiyah Muntahar, 45, said she was shocked and quickly went out to take a look.

"I heard a man scream very loudly and I came out to see about five workers and many police officers," she said.

"I heard them say that the man was dead and that he had climbed very high. And when he fell, he was stabbed by a branch.

"I saw his body and there were bloodstains on his light blue shirt."

She said the workers had been cutting trees behind her employer's house from 9am to about 6pm for the past five days.

A Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) spokesman said it responded to the incident at about 3.07pm.

"A man who was stuck in a tree at a height of about 10m was lowered to the ground by co-workers," he said.

"He was pronounced dead at scene by paramedics."

A Ministry of Manpower spokesman said it was notified by the SCDF and is investigating. The police are investigating the unnatural death.

This article was first published on August 28 2015.
Get The New Paper for more stories.

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.