Ikea issues safety warning over wall-mounted lamp

Ikea issues safety warning over wall-mounted lamp
One of the Ikea Smila lamps that have since been taken off the shelves of Ikea stores worldwide.

SINGAPORE- IKEA Singapore yesterday issued a warning to customers who bought an Ikea Smila wall-mounted lamp after an infant in Scotland died after getting tangled up in its cord.

The furniture giant took the lamps off shelves in its stores worldwide in May, following the tragedy in October last year.

An Ikea Singapore spokesman told The Straits Times that Ikea was informed in May by the British authorities that one of its lamps was involved. No children have been reported injured in Singapore.

In a press statement sent out yesterday, Ikea apologised for any inconvenience caused and warned that loose lamp cords can be a strangulation hazard to infants and young children.

It urged customers to check that the lamp and cord are out of reach of children in a cot or playpen, and fastened securely to the wall.

Ikea is also offering customers a repair kit at no cost. It contains a warning label, safety instructions and self-adhesive fasteners to fix the lamp cord to the wall.

Customers can visit the Exchange and Returns Counters at either Ikea Tampines or Ikea Alexander, or contact Ikea Customer Service on 6786-6868 to receive their repair kit.

They do not need to produce proof of purchase.


Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.