SINGAPORE - IKEA Singapore is urging all customers who have an IKEA SMILA wall-mounted lamp to check immediately that the lamp and cord are out of reach of children when in a cot or playpen.
Parents should also ensure that the cord is securely fastened to the wall as loose lamp cords can present a strangulation hazard to infants and young children.
IKEA Singapore further reminded customers that any corded product such as a window covering or blind can present a strangulation hazard. Accessible cords should always be kept out of reach of young children.
The warning comes after reports of a tragic accident in Scotland, where an infant in a cot died after getting entangled with the cord of a SMILA wall-mounted lamp. No reports of injury have been received in Singapore, IKEA Singapore said.
Customers can receive a repair kit free of charge at the Exchange and Returns Counters at either IKEA Tampines or IKEA Alexandraa.
They can also contact IKEA's customer service hotline at +65 6786 6868.
The repair kit contains a warning label, safety instructions and self-adhesive fasteners for fixing the lamp cord to the wall.
The furniture chain apologised for any inconvenience caused.