Indian national who helped dump body convicted

Indian national who helped dump body convicted
Police officers flanking Indian national Gursharan Singh, who has been charged with the murder of Madam Jasvinder Kaur on 20 December 2013, as he retraces his steps along the route which he and another man allegedly took to dump Madam Kaur’s body in the Whampoa River. Singh is believed to be the friend of the Madam Kaur's husband. The police are now looking for the husband, who left the country through Woodlands checkpoint half an hour before his wife’s body was found on 12 December 2013.

AN INDIAN national who helped dispose of a beautician's body in the Whampoa River was convicted yesterday of causing evidence to disappear and failing to report the murder to police.

Gursharan Singh, 27, admitted to screening the alleged killer, Harvinder Singh, from legal punishment.

He also pleaded guilty to intentionally failing to inform the police when he knew his compatriot had allegedly killed his wife, Madam Jasvinder Kaur, between Dec 10 and 11, 2013.

The 33-year-old's mutilated body - without her head and hands - was found wrapped in trash bags and floating in a waterway between McNair Road and St George's Road on Dec 12 that year.

Assistant Public Prosecutor Prakash Otharam said Harvinder, who is on the Interpol wanted list, went to look for Gursharan at the Central Sikh Temple in Towner Road.

He asked for help to move some belongings from his unit to another in Whampoa on Dec 11 that year.

At about 11.30pm, Harvinder turned up at the temple with a new black canvas bag. He then led Gursharan to a shophouse in Balestier Road, where he occupied a room on the second floor.

Harvinder, 35, asked Gursharan to help him pack clothing into the bag, but Gursharan told him to do it himself. He then went to the first floor to wait.

Half an hour later, Harvinder called him to come up, and Gursharan saw the bag placed outside the room.

Harvinder pulled the bag, which had wheels at the base. As it was being dragged down a flight of steps, Gursharan heard a loud "thud" each time it landed.

The court heard that one of the wheels on the bag broke when the pair were walking up an overhead bridge, causing the bag to tilt to one side.

When Gursharan went to help, he felt that the bag was really heavy and asked Harvinder what was inside.

Harvinder told him that he had had a fight with his wife that morning. He punched her on the neck and she fell unconscious on the bed. He then left the room.

When he returned later that day, he found her still unconscious. He then put her inside the bag and wanted to get rid of it.

The court heard that Harvinder threw the bag into the canal near Block 110 McNair Road and left for Malaysia. Subsequently, he called Gursharan and said he was planning to leave Malaysia.

The case has been adjourned to next Wednesday.

This article was first published on March 27, 2015.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to for more stories.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.