It looked like a battlefield

It looked like a battlefield
Mr Singh said the rioters lifted a police car and propped it against the ambulance, before battering and rummaging through them. "They even took the stretcher out and wheeled it across the road," said Mr Singh.

The stretch of Race Course Road near Buffalo Road resembled a battlefield Sunday night.

Some police cars had been overturned and others were in flames.

A private bus that was involved in a fatal accident earlier was badly damaged, as was a Red Rhino from the Singapore Civil Defence Force.

Video footage posted on social media show an angry mob smashing the front windscreen of the bus. They had apparently been angered by the death of a pedestrian who was hit by the bus.

When The New Paper team arrived at the scene at about 10.45pm, the area looked as though it was under control.

My colleague, photojournalist Jonathan Choo, and I were soon to discover how wrong we were.

Over the next hour, as the police, many of whom were in riot gear, tried to regain control of the street, we found ourselves in the middle of a running battle.

Mr Choo said: "In my 32 years as a photographer, I had never experienced something like this on home soil. I'm still shaking from being chased by the mob."

He had got a little too close to a group of men who were hurling rocks, broken bottles and other objects at a line of policemen which had formed some 50m away.

"Suddenly, one man turned and tried to grab my camera," Mr Choo, 56, said. "The next thing I knew, more of his friends were surrounding and shouting at me."

They were angry that Mr Choo was taking pictures of them. "As I ran away, I could hear flying objects hitting the ground behind me."

I thought I was in a safer position standing near the police line. After all, an officer had told me it was safe there.

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.