Jailed 4 years for beating parents

Jailed 4 years for beating parents

BRUNEI - A man who admitted to beating his parents during a drunken rage has been sentenced to serve four years in jail with immediate effect.

The court document submitted by prosecuting officer Shamshuddin Kamaluddin stated that the incident occurred during two separate occasions.

On June 2 at their home in Kg Temburong, the defendant, Muhammad Sulaimi Abdullah/Sabat @ Toni Ak Sabat, had gotten drunk from drinking whisky when he got into a scuffle with his father who had told him not to drive as he was intoxicated.

After his request was rejected a number of times, this led Sulaimi to lose his temper and punched his 62-year-old father in the face twice.

The defendant's 55-year-old mother, who was in the kitchen cooking dinner, then heard the commotion and ran to the living room to see the defendant fighting with his father.

The mother tried to stop the defendant by standing between her son and her husband, but this made Sulaimi angry, and he subsequently punched his mother in the face which resulted in her losing consciousness.

Despite this, Sulaimi continued hitting, kicking and punching his mother repeatedly, causing bruises on her face, chest, arms and both legs. Meanwhile, the defendant's father ran into his bedroom and locked himself, fearing for his safety.

After regaining consciousness several hours later, the mother, who felt pain all over her body and could not get up, called out for the defendant who was sleeping at the living room.

When she saw the reflection of her face was blue and swollen, she asked why the defendant did this to her, but Sulaimi kept quiet.

Sulaimi then went back to the capital on June 3, to resume his work as a night watchman.

When the defendant's mother did not turn up for work after three days, her supervisor went to look for her at her flat. It was then that the supervisor discovered the defendant's bruised up father and mother.

The supervisor took photos of the defendant's mother to get approval for a two-week leave. However, the photo went viral and was quickly circulated via Whatsapp and came to the attention of the police.

On June 10, the officer in command of police in Temburong ordered the Criminal Investigation Department in Temburong to investigate the photographs of the mother believed to have been beaten up by her son.

The investigations led to the supervisor as the person who took the photograph and she in turn led them to the defendant's parents.

The defendant's mother was sent to the hospital in Bangar and the doctor classified her injuries as hurt caused by blunt injury. The defendant's mother was then hospitalised for treatment before she was discharged on June 13.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.