Little India was "like a war zone": TNP photojournalist

Little India was "like a war zone": TNP photojournalist

Speaking to RazorTV, The New Paper journalist Zaihan Mohamed Yusof said, "On Sunday night, a call came in at about 10pm.

"The guy on the other end said that he had a tip off to tell us, that there was a riot in Little India. It seemed like a hoax, because he seemed more interested in finding out if he could get a prize for telling us this.

"So I didn't take it seriously, but two minutes later he must have called again saying, 'Are you on the way here? There's one man dead.'

"When I heard that, I thought that this was serious stuff. I informed the News Editor and he said 'let's go'.

"Within 10 minutes I went to the photo room and contacted [photojournalist] Jonathan, and we were on our way to Little India. We arrived there at about 10.45pm and along the way there were indications that this was the real thing.

"There were police cars and motorbikes speeding to that location. We found ourselves at Hampshire Road and we knew we were at the right place because of the fire ball that I could see about 50 metres away from where the car was.

"We were then stuck in a jam and we decided that Jonathan should go out and scout around."

Picking up from where Zaihan had left off, photojournalist Jonathan Choo, told RazorTV that the first thing he saw was the ball of fire and a whole row of cars.

He said that he found it strange as there was no-one around to put it out, but as he looked around he saw the riot police in full gear.

He then tried to find the police cordon, but there wasn't any as well. He then thought that the riot was over and went forward.

However, just as he did, "I saw a whole group of people rushing off. So I thought that the action is still on and I moved towards them.

"When I reached there I realised that there was the hotspot, and I started shooting.

"After a few shots, one of them spotted me and started shouting at me. Then the rest turned towards me and the nearest person to me, who was holding a rock, grabbed my camera strap.

"When I realised that whole group was starting to react, and I knew I already had the pictures, I knew I had to run for my life. I quickly pulled the camera away from the guy and ran.

"I started to hear 'pok, pok' sounds around me. When I on the ground, I realised that they throwing rocks at me."

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.