JOHOR BARU: The Home Ministry will decide soon whether to revoke the licence of a security firm whose employee allegedly raped and killed a teenage girl in Penang.
Deputy Minister Datuk Nur Jazlan Mohamed said the ministry had received a reply from the security firm after sending a show-cause letter to them.
As such, he said the ministry would look into their appeal before making any decision.
"Time and time again, we have told security companies that they must send their staff to be vetted by the police to avoid such incidents," he said after attending SJK(C) Pei Hwa's sports day at Taman Perling here yesterday.
On Oct 25, a 20-year-old security guard was nabbed for allegedly raping and murdering a Form Five student at a flat in Bayan Lepas.
Her body was found semi-nude in a pool of blood on her bed with her throat slit.
The suspect is reportedly a drug addict who had been caught previously for a drug offence.
Nur Jazlan also said the ministry had taken action against some 800 security companies throughout Malaysia, including having their licences revoked for not following the rules.
Two weeks ago, the ministry held a meeting with all security firm owners, stipulating that they must attend a management course if they wanted to apply or renew their licence.