SINGAPORE - A father of two died while his wife and son had to be rescued from a sixth-floor ledge yesterday after a fire broke out at their Woodlands flat.
Mr Tan Wee Lam William, 57, was found unconscious in the toilet after suffering a cardiac arrest. Firefighters pulled him out and paramedics tried to resuscitate him, but he died later.
His wife, Madam Chang Shiu-wen, 58, and son, Mr Tan Xi Tsier Jack, 23, escaped the flames by standing on a ledge outside a bedroom before being guided back inside by firefighters when the fire was extinguished. Both suffered smoke inhalation.
The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) was alerted to the fire at 3.18am and deployed ambulances, fire engines and red rhinos to Block 788E.
The police also received a call requesting for assistance.
Firefighters found the fire in the living room and study area, where it is believed to have started, and put it out within 20 minutes using two water jets.
Father and son were taken to Khoo Teck Puat Hospital while Madam Chang was taken to Singapore General Hospital (SGH).