Man holds kids, wife and mum hostage

Man holds kids, wife and mum hostage
COMFORT: One of the children in the care of a medical officer inside an ambulance after the siege.

Three children and two women were rescued after being held captive for over seven hours in Malacca yesterday.

The drama unfolded at about 7.15pm on Saturday when a man, armed with a parang, held his three daughters, aged three to nine, his wife and mother captive inside the house, reported Malaysia's The Star.

The unemployed man in his 30s had accused the women of using black magic on him and started assaulting his wife.

Neighbours who heard the commotion and cries for help alerted the police when they failed to open the door of the terrace house.

Malacca police's special investigation division arrived later and set up positions around the house as deputy state police chief Senior Assistant Commissioner Mohd Shaharizan Che Mat Din and Melaka Tengah OCPD Assistant Commissioner Shaikh Abdul Adzis Shaikh Abdullah set out to talk to the man.

Mr Mohd Shaharizan, who had experience in managing the 2011 Muar kindergarten hostage crisis, was tasked with negotiating directly with the man.

It was not until 2.15am that a loud scream was heard followed by applause. The officers walked out of the house with a thumbs-up signal.


Minutes later, a 40-year-old woman, believed to be the man's wife, was wheeled into an ambulance with injuries on her face and eyes.

The three children and the man's 60-year-old mother, all with minor injuries, came out later and were rushed to Malacca General Hospital.

The man was placed under arrest.

State police chief Deputy Commissioner Chuah Ghee Lye said the police officers were faced with a suicidal man.

"We were concerned about the safety of the children and the two women as the parang-wielding man was erratic and could inflict injuries if the negotiation went awry," he told reporters later.

Police later found the youngest daughter hiding inside a closet and it took some time to persuade her to come out after the drama was over.

Mr Chuah said police were checking the unemployed man's background to determine if he was a drug addict or had other criminal records.

This article was first published on May 18, 2015.
Get The New Paper for more stories.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.