Man jailed 7 years for choking, poisoning, raping and slashing ex-girlfriend

Man jailed 7 years for choking, poisoning, raping and slashing ex-girlfriend


The 22-year-old man becomes angry when his Malaysian girlfriend wants to leave his flat.

He pushes her down onto a bed, sits on her stomach and pins her hands down.

He then presses a pillow over her mouth to suffocate her before attempting to strangle her with his hand.

The man thinks she is dead when she becomes motionless.

He decides to get rid of her body by stuffing it into a suitcase, but fails to do so after two attempts.


He decides to die with the 23-year-old married woman when he is unable to carry her out of his flat.

When he realises she is still alive, he gets a bottle of air freshener concentrate and squeezes some into her mouth, causing her to vomit on the floor.


He removes the woman's shirt after noticing that it is stained with vomit.

But he becomes sexually aroused while undressing her and rapes her.

She does not resist or put up a struggle as she is in a semi-conscious state.


Still determined to end both their lives, the man takes a utility knife and uses it to cut the woman's right wrist. He also cuts her stomach.

Following this, he tries to commit suicide by cutting his own wrists.

He also drinks some of the air freshener liquid and swallows some prescription tablets used to treat fever.

Despite all this...She still survives

They fell in love and became a couple less than a month after meeting in Malaysia.

But the relationship soured and he flew into a rage when the 23-year-old Malaysian sales assistant, a married woman and a mother of one, tried to leave his home about seven months later.

The Singaporean man, who is now 24, attacked, raped and poisoned his ex-girlfriend in his family flat in the western part of Singapore on June 24, 2013.

The man, whom we are not naming to protect the woman's identity, was jailed yesterday for seven years and ordered to receive six strokes of the cane after pleading guilty to one count each of rape and causing hurt by using a poisonous substance.

Three other charges - two of assault and one of attempted suicide - were taken into consideration during sentencing.

The man first met the woman sometime in October 2012 when she was working in a Johor Baru shopping mall.

The pair exchanged text messages and became a couple later that month.

But the woman's husband found out about the affair and this took a toll on their marriage.

Deputy Public Prosecutor (DPP) David Khoo said: "Around this period, (she) began to enter Singapore more frequently to meet (the man) and would even stay overnight at (his flat).

"Soon after, (she) decided to leave her matrimonial home in Malaysia and move to Singapore to be with (the man)."

They shared a room in his flat and they had regular sex between November 2012 and early June 2013. The court heard that the man's parents, his sister and her boyfriend also lived in the same unit.

When the relationship soured, the woman moved out on June 9, 2013, and returned to Johor Baru to reconcile with her husband.

But the Singaporean man refused to give up on the relationship and continued calling her, asking to meet up. He told her 12 days later that if she refused to meet him, he would go to Malaysia to look for her.

She agreed to meet up with him as she did not want him to cause trouble.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.