A Malaysian man has died after suffering burns from a Molotov cocktail which was hurled into his house.
Mr P. Vijayan, 56, died at the Bukit Mertajam Hospital at 2.40am on Monday, a week after the explosion at about 10pm on June 2.
A post-mortem by Penang Hospital's senior consultant forensic pathologist, Dr Bhupinder Singh, showed he suffered second-degree burns, reported Malaysia's The Star.
Mr Vijayan's wife P. Amutha, who was also in the house, suffered burns on her hands and face.
From voluntarily causing grievous hurt, police have reclassified the case as murder.
Penang CID chief Senior Assistant Commissioner Mazlan Kesah said two men, aged 18 and 31, have been arrested in connection with the incident.
They will be remanded until Saturday.
"Both of them have criminal records for burglary and drug-related offences. Revenge could be the motive as they were apparently upset with one of the couple's children," Mr Mazlan said.
Madam Amutha said two men wearing helmets stormed into their house before throwing the bottle of flammable liquid. She managed to call her children for help.
According to witnesses, the two men had climbed over the fence and a loud explosion was heard shortly after. They were spotted fleeing on a motorcycle.
"A check at the scene found a shattered beer bottle. There was also a strong smell of kerosene and burn marks on the wall and furniture," Mr Mazlan said.
Separately, at least three people were injured in a fire at the Kota Kinabalu police quarters around 1.40pm yesterday.
This article was first published on June 11, 2014.
Get The New Paper for more stories.