Man planning terror attacks in India nabbed

Man planning terror attacks in India nabbed

PETALING JAYA - A South Asian man has been detained for terrorism activities and allegedly planning to attack foreign consulates in India.

Bukit Aman Special Branch Counter Terrorism Unit picked up the man at about 11.15am on Wednesday following a raid in a housing area in Kepong.

Deputy Inspector-General of Police Datuk Seri Mohd Bakri Zinin said the man is believed to be involved in a plan to attack foreign consulates in Chennai and Bangalore in India.

He said the unit had been monitoring the man since December last year after "we discovered that he was involved in planned terror attacks."

Mohd Bakri said in a statement that information obtained from the surveillance on the man was channelled to Indian authorities on April 9.

On April 29, three men were detained in India, all believed to be major players in the terrorist network.

"We will continue to work with other foreign agencies to prevent attacks in the region as well as globally.

"The suspect has been detained under the Immigration Act for further action," Mohd Bakri said.

Indian authorities arrested a suspected terrorist, believed to be of Sri Lankan nationality, who was making observations on foreign consulates and planning to launch an attack, The Hindu news portal reported.

The newspaper also quoted a police source as saying that the suspect had taken photographs of the United States' consulate in Chennai, Israel's Consulate in Bangalore and a number of strategic locations.

 

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.